SEXUAL VIOLENCE !
- Someone in the US is sexually assaulted every 2 minutes.
- 1 out of every 6 women in America has been the victim of an attempted or rape in her lifetime.
- Sexual assault is the most under-reported violent crime in the U.S. Only 46 percent of sexual assaults have been reported over the past 5 years.
- Two-thirds of assaults are committed by someone the victim knows.
- Girls ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- 5 percent of males in grades 9-12 said they have been sexually abused.
- 93 percent of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker.
- Victims of sexual assault are 26 times more likely to abuse drugs. And 13 times more likely to
- 1 in 33 American men have experienced attempted rape or rape in their lifetime.
- There are 207,754 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault every year.
- 44 percent of sexual assault victims are under age 18.
- Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.
- 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4 percent of the time.
- Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying.
- 1 in 7 students in grades K-12 is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- 56 percent of students have personally witnessed some type of bullying at school.
- Over two-thirds of students believe that
schoolsrespond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
- 71 percent of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90 percent of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- 1 out 10 students drop out of school because of repeated bullying.
- Harassment and bullying have been linked to 75 percent of school-shooting incidents.
- Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant.
- A 2009
surveyfound that 9 out of 10 LGBT youth reported being verbally harassed at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation.